Kerry Lepicek, RDH
Learn how the red flags you see everyday in your practice can enhance the assessment of your clients’ overall heath. Dental professionals should look for red flags, as they are risk factors of systemic disease, such as sleep apnea, dementia, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high cholesterol, etc. This session will cover new approaches for the diagnosis and treatment of the oral infections that cause periodontal disease and systemic health concerns.
Discussions will also focus on how and why dental hygienists need to collaborate with other health-care professionals when they find red flags. At the end of this session dental hygienists will be have the confidence in their recommendations and use of technology, different types of biofilm analysis and medical tests to diagnose, inform and motivate clients to get healthy.
- Identify red flags and risk factors in the treatment
- Explore the scientific basis for how systemic diseases are related to high-risk periodontal
- Recognize when to collaborate with other health
- Be comfortable recommending additional tests to clients for early detection such as oral cancer screening, 3D imaging, microbiology, medical tests and carotid ultrasounds (c-MIT).
- Session handout will be provided.