Anna Louise Tolan, RDH, FADIA & Michael Glogauer, DDS, PhD, Dip. Peri
Sponsored by ODHA
This session focuses on how the comprehensive classification system allows clinicians to classify the patient/client, based on a system of staging and grading never before employed in periodontal diagnosis. Discussions will cover the principles behind the updated classification for periodontal diseases and how to integrate new staging and grading of periodontitis, indicating severity and extent of disease, lifetime disease experience and the client’s overall health status.
How the classification system is able to determine the best way to treat periodontitis and screen for disease recurrence will also be discussed. This lecture will provide clinicians with a clear understanding of CDHO expectations for using the classification system in their scope of practice and will build confidence for immediate chairside implementation of staging and grading.
- Understand the clinician’s role in adopting the improved classification system aimed at impacting client care.
- Recognize the clinical assessment skills needed for the classification of periodontal disease.
- Learn how the algorithm process was used to develop the staging and grading system.
- Utilize the checklist to classify clinical cases.
- Identify and classify periodontal disease using the staging and grading system.